Friday, November 30, 2012

Killer Mike: Reagan


Killer Mike: Reagan


Killer Mike's R.A.P. Music is one of my favorite albums of the year. "Reagan" has a great, El-P-produced beat. But it's also especially timely in this election year.



In the track, Mike spits venomous criticisms at not just Ronald Reagan, but the last five presidents. The meaning of the song is best explained by the rapper himself:



A lot of people try to peg me as a political rapper and I'm not. I'm a social commentator and at times people have politicized the things I say, but I don't care too much for any political party. I care about people. Under Reagan, drugs were allowed to flood our community and wipe out two to three generations of people that could have kept my community growing and I take exception to that. I threw a BBQ when Reagan died. It's not a vehement hate though, I'm not gonna spit on his grave. I wanted to break down what the Reagan era was really like.



Regardless of your political views, it's a great song—one that makes you really listen to the lyrics. [iTunes, Spotify, Amazon]


No comments:

Post a Comment